Alternative Pathways

To be a successful tertiary student, it is not necessary for you to have completed Year 12 or to have any formal academic qualifications.  There are a number alternative pathways you can use to assist your application.

Before using alternative pathways, you should consider any qualifications you may have. For example, if you completed Year 12 or its equivalent, have undertaken Senior External Examination subjects, studied at university, TAFE, or a registered training organisation, completed an approved bridging course, or have professional registrations or defence force service, you may be considered for entry on the basis of these qualifications, and not need to use alternative pathways.

Institution policies apply to the use of alternative pathways. The information sheets below provide a summary of these policies. It is also advisable to check with the relevant institution to verify if alternative pathways can be used for the course/s you want to apply for.

Note:  If you are using alternative pathways, you are still required to satisfy minimum entry requirements such as subject prerequisites set by the tertiary institution you are applying to.

More Information

Alternative Pathways
Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT)

Personal Competencies Assessment (PCA)

Employment Experience



Top of Page